Evening & Weekend Class times available also upon request.
Time: 3 hours (See class session times below. They are held same time each week, payment must be made on the website at least 1 day prior to class).
All supplies & materials provided by Soapalooza Soap Arts Studio
Classroom Location: Mille Fleurs, 1332 Sycamore Square, Midlothian VA 23113
This class gives you one on one guidance while you make your own first batch of natural soap. We will refresh you with lab safety basics, as well as review the soapmaking process before we let you create your soap formula, calculate your lye, measure your ingredients, choose color and scent, and mix your soap. Under close supervision by a veteran soapmaker you will now make your own natural soap! You will leave with a 1 lb soap log that you can later slice and set to cure. Enjoy these first creations of your own, or give as gifts after they cure for four weeks.
You will leave with soapmaking notes on adapting your basic soap formula for more complex soap variations. You will also leave with a 1 lb log of soap. You will use equipment, supplies, and ingredients supplied on site by the studio. Just bring yourself and the items listed in the prerequisite note below.
Objectives of this 3 hour class are to guide you while you:
- display proper safety procedures for handling sodium hydroxide
- select your soapmaking equipment and supplies
- help you calculate your formula for your mold size based on volume
- select two colorants for your cold process soap
- select your fragrance or essential oils for your cold process soap (and discuss discoloration issues)
- observe you taking accurate measurements
- discuss the concept of lye discount, aka "superfat'
- assist you in calculating your lye manually, with a lye calculator double check
- assist you in using a stick blender to mix your soap formula
- assist you in coloring your soap with a second color swirl
- provide tips for dealing with touchy fragrance materials
- provide ideas for you to package your soap later
- provide you with a hands on soap mentor during your first batch of cold process soap
Prerequisite: You must be 18 years old or accompanied by your parent to enroll or participate in this class. Please wear or bring a long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe shoes to class. Latex or nitrile gloves and safety goggles are also required, but can be borrowed at the studio the day of class.
Add to cart below to sign up and reserve your space! All classes must be paid for by the day before class. All workshops & studio classes are non refundable, however we can always reschedule for a future date or transfer to a friend or relative.